All Avonni Window and Door units must be installed per the installation instructions. If units are not installed in a manner that conforms to the manufacturer’s installation instructions, the warranties will be null and void.
How to: Install Avonni Casement Windows
Please read entire installation instructions carefully and thoroughly before starting.
These instructions include information for operating casements / awnings and fixed casement windows.
Inspect for Damage:
Carefully inspect the unit for shipping or handling damage. Shipping damage may include scratched or broken glass, damaged sash, broken jambs or cladding. If the unit does not meet the specifications ordered or has any shipping damage, do not install the unit; contact your local A&H Windows distributor. All shipping blocks and packaging must be removed from the unit prior to installation.
Check rough opening to ensure that opening is level, plumb and square. Verify that width and height dimensions are correct. Rough opening should be 1/2″ wider than overall frame width and 3/4″ greater than overall frame height. Sill plate should be flat and level. Make sure opening is dry, clean and free of dirt and debris.
Flashing and/or an appropriate method of sealing shall be designed as a part of an overall weather-resistive barrier system.
It is not the responsibility of the window manufacturer to design or recommend a flashing system appropriate for each job condition.
For flashing instructions, follow all local building codes applicable to the construction application.
1. Pre-drill 1/8″ holes through the nailing flange to prepare for installing the window into the rough opening. The holes should be drilled through the indentation that runs the length of the nailing flange. Start the holes approximately 3″ to 6″ inches from each corner and then 12-16 inches on
2. Next, apply a continuous 1/2″ bead of silicone along the head, sill and both side jambs of the back of the nailing fin (See Fig. 2).
3. Insert and center the window in the rough opening. Operating units must be in the locked position during installation.
CAUTION: Lift and position windows with care. Some windows or window mullion assemblies are very heavy. Please use two or more people to handle heavy windows.
4. With the window set into the rough opening, check to make sure it is centered and level. Tack the window in place with one 1-1/2″ screw (or equivalent) in the side nailing flange within 3″ to 6″ off one corner.
Squaring and Alignment:
Level the sill of the unit by using shims if necessary. Shim side jambs in the center to ensure the same width at top and bottom of the unit. Do not overshim the jambs and create an inward bow.
Frame corners can be checked for squareness by using a framing square.
Shims at the top of the side jambs are required. Use a level or straight edge to verify that the jambs and sill are straight.
Measurements of the width of the frame should be equal at the head, center, and sill of the window.
Securing the Window:
- With the window plumb, square and level, finish securing in place. Secure the nailing flange to the sheathing, beginning 4 inches from the corner and12 to 16 inches thereafter.
- With the unit completely secured to the structure, apply a bead of sealant at the edge of the head jamb nailing flange where it meets the sheathing.
Also, apply similar beads of sealant between the edge of the side jamb nailing flange and the flashing material.
Tool the sealant into the joint to ensure the joint is filled.
- Complete installation by applying sealant around the perimeter of the unit after the exterior wall finish has been applied.
General Finishing Instructions:
The Avonni window is a low-maintenance, aluminum-clad unit. Do not allow paint, stain, solvent or overspray to come in contact with any of the exterior clad surfaces. Soiled surfaces can be cleaned with a mild nonabrasive detergent and water.
Finishing Sash – Only the exterior of the Avonni sash is low-maintenance clad. The interior of the sash may be painted or stained. All wood surfaces must be totally free of dust, dirt, grease or any other contamination, which may have occurred during window construction or installation. The surface should be completely dry.
DO NOT apply paint to damp wood.
DO NOT paint the weatherstrip, hardware, or close and lock the sash before the paint has completely dried to prevent damage from parts sticking together. Follow the paint or stain manufacturer’s instruction.
Guide to Installing Casement Windows
Notwithstanding the exemplary instructions, installation of these windows requires knowledge of, and must be in conformity with, all applicable federal, state and local codes and regulations. Installation of these windows also requires:
– a working knowledge of the tools, equipment and methods
– a familiarity with caulking and sealing procedures
– a familiarity with glass handling procedures
– an understanding of the fundamentals of residential construction
Flashing and/or an appropriate method of sealing shall be designed as a part of an overall weather-resistivity barrier system.
Field-applied protective coatings can damage insulated glass, sealant, weather-stripping and gaskets. These are not recommended and will void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Mortar left on cladding or glass can damage these surfaces. Remove all foreign material from these surfaces before curing takes place.
Any type of film or tinting material applied to the glass surface could result in damage to the glass and does void the warranty. Failure to follow factory installation instructions will void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Installing any A&H Windows product in any structure that has been partially or wholly clad with any type of synthetic stucco,
Exterior Insulation Finishing System (EIFS), Direct Applied Exterior Finishing System (DEFS), drainable exterior finishing system or similar product shall completely void this warranty.
CAUTION: Insect screens are not designed to restrain children.
This company appears to be out of business: This original document and corresponding pdfs are provided for homeowner’s research, repair and installation purposes only. This document is © 2005 Avonni Windows www.avonnniwindows.com (defunct)
PO Box 130, North Wilkesboro, NC 28659
ph: 866.229.7617 | www.avonnniwindows.com